EcoBalance 2016, the 12th Biennial Conference on EcoBalance
3-6 October / Kyoto, Japan
This biennial conference series is about methodologies and practices for sustainability based life-cycle thinking. The 2016 theme, “Responsible value chains for sustainability” invites exploration of efforts at tackling challenges for embodying responsible value chains in business, compatible with value creation for companies and society. Solutions to such challenges incorporate scientific knowledge and evidence, involving diverse stakeholders such as industries, consumers, governments, academia, and investors.
The Life Cycle Initiative will have a strong presence in this conference, launching two reports (one on LCIA indicators and one on a global mapping of LCA networks).
- Experts from the Flagship Project Environmental life cycle impact assessment indicators will have a full session presenting the results from the Valencia Pellston Workshop™ on consensus building of LCIA indicators.
- The Life Cycle Initiative’s work on hotspots analysis and Organisational LCA will be presented in separate sessions as well.
Please join our sessions:
- 2-A1: Status of Asian LCI databases and movements toward global interoperability • Time: Wednesday, 05/Oct/2016 9:00am – 9:15am Toward the interoperability of global LCI databases Mark Goedkoop
- 2-B1-B2: Consensus building in life cycle impact assessment: experiences, achievements and challenges • Time: Wednesday, 05/Oct/2016 9:00am – 12:20am Several presentations summarizing The UNEP/SETAC Life Cycle Initiative flagship project on Global guidance on environmental life cycle impact assessment indicators, including the official launch of the publication at 12:00. Sessions co-chaired by Rolf Frischknecht and Llorenç Milà i Canals.
- 3-C3: Organizational LCA • Time: Thursday, 06/Oct/2016: 2:00pm – 2:20pm Organizational LCA: status and results of the road testing phase Julia Martínez-Blanco, Llorenç Milà i Canals, Atsushi Inaba, Annekatrin Lehmann, Matthias Finkbeiner
- 3-D2: Hotspots analysis • Time: Thursday, 06/Oct/2016: 12:00pm – 12:40pm Hotspots Analysis – What do we know and how can it be used to improve sustainability of product systems James Archie Fava, Mark Barthel
Side meetings during EcoBalance in Kyoto
- Alongside the EcoBalance conference, the 30th International Life Cycle Initiative Board Meeting will take place on 6 October in Kyoto (by invitation only). Strategic planning of Phase 4 of the Initiative will be discussed as the most critical topic in the agenda. This board meeting will be the kick-start to define the vision, work plan and governance for the upcoming years, based on a series of self-analysis, independent evaluation and external consultation regarding the work of Phase 3 (2012-2016). A new strategy of the Life Cycle Initiative is expected to be ready in the first half of 2017.
- On 7 October, an expert workshop “Contributions of Life Cycle Thinking to Sustainable Development Pathways – and the Role of Global LCA Data Access Network” will be held in Kyoto. It is organised by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) of Japan, and attended by UNEP, national governmental officials, academia and LCA experts. This workshop aims to exchange opinions and share new information with policy makers and professionals from various countries, so that industries can smoothly progress activities worldwide with life cycle thinking, tools and data. If you want to attend the workshop, please register online here or contact Mr. Yasushi Furushima of Mizuho Information & Research Institute, Inc.